There’s a reason why numerous tourists from around the Philippines and all over the world flock to the pristine shores of Palawan for a unique travel experience. As the top island destination in travel, it must be because of all it has to offer—beautiful beaches, a rich plant life, sunny skies, and a long list of exciting things to do. This is why those with a love for nature and exploration make their way to the Puerto Princesa Underground River.
Fast Facts About the Puerto Princesa Underground River:
- A UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Designated as one of the “New 7 Wonders of Nature”
- November 11 has been declared by Pres. Benigno Aquino III as “Puerto Princesa Underground River Day”.
- This 8.2 kilometer river is said to be longest navigable underground river in the world.
- More than 800 plant species, including 300 trees, 195 bird species, 30 mammals, 19 reptiles and 8 bat species can be found here.
Palawan was also awarded as the “World’s Best Island” for the 2nd year in a row by the award-winning US travel magazine, Conde Nast Traveler’s (CNT) Readers’ Choice Awards 2015.
What to Expect:
The beauty of the island comes to life at the Puerto Princesa Underground River, one of the tropical paradise’s most visited attractions.
Entering the cave is like entering another world. After enjoying the bright and sparkling blue waters and lush greenery that Palawan is so famous for and after saying goodbye to the canopy of trees overlooking the cheerful lagoon, tourists are greeted by the quiet echoes of the dark cave, marking the beginning of their journey into the Underground River, and a signal to turn their hardhat flashlights on.
Once the eyes adjust, tourists are invited to see for themselves the legendary rock formations of limestone karst that resemble cathedrals and castles of another time, leading them through tunnels and caves all the way to the South China Sea at the end of the tour.
How to Prepare for the Puerto Princesa Underground River Experience:
• Set aside an entire day, as the underground river is a 2 to 2.5-hour trip from the city center.
• Keep an eye on your valuables. If you can carry everything on your body, then do so.
• Use insect repellant to protect yourself from mosquito and other insect bites.
• Leave what you don’t want to get wet at home, but make sure to bring along your sense of adventure!
Come visit Puerto Princesa and witness the beauty of the Puerto Princesa Underground River yourself with our promo packages.